WEEKLY TO DO LIST
1. Continue pruning! Broadleaf evergreens, ornamental trees, fruit trees, grapevines, shade trees.
2. Hold off pruning anything with flower buds, or prune selectively.
3. Apply crabgrass preventer to lawns.
4. Clean up flower beds and apply pre-emergent herbicide and mulch.
5. The following crops can be direct seeded now: broccoli, carrots, lettuce, onions, potatoes, radishes, turnips.
6. Start seeds for broccoli, cauliflower.
7. Get a jump on spring planting by installing trees and shrubs whenever the ground is workable.
8. Check houseplants and repot any that have become rootbound.
9. Delay no further on fertilizing tall fescue lawns
10. Get supplies ready to start fruit tree spray program.
Remember, always read and follow the label instructions for any pesticide you use. The recommendations are for Warren and Vance Counties in NC and may not apply in other areas.
Best answer I’ve seen about treated lumber use in the garden:
Apply crabgrass preventer NOW!
PRUNING WORKSHOPS SATURDAY, 3/10
1. 9:30 am at the Vance County Extension Center, 305 Young St.
2. 12 noon at Wesley United Methodist Church in Warrenton
Come to either or both!
Agricultural Extension Agent, Vance/Warren Counties
Field Crops (Warren only), Forestry, Horticulture
NC Cooperative Extension
NCSU College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
305 Young St., Henderson, NC 27536