July 25, 2014

Vance County Crime Rates Improve, Still Highest in State

Thursday the North Carolina Department of Justice released the 2011 crime rate reports for North Carolina.  Overall, reports of crime statewide fell by 0.9 percent in 2011, making it North Carolina’s lowest crime rate since 1977, Attorney General Roy Cooper said. The statewide violent crime rate dropped by 5.2 percent during the year.

Vance County’s Index Crime rate dropped slightly from a 2010 figure of 8,327.6 per 100,000 to 2011 rate of 8,270.1 per 100,000 people.  Index Crime includes the total number of violent crimes (murder, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault) and property crimes (burglary, larceny, and motor vehicle theft).

Specifically, violent crime increased from a rate of 545.7 in 2010 to 598.1 per 100,000 and property crimes decreased from 7,781.9 in 2010 to 7,672.0 per 100,000.

Vance County Crime Rates per 100,000:

Year Index Crime Rate Violent Crime Rate Property Index Rate
2010 8,327.6 545.7 7,781.9
2011 8,270.1 598.1 7,672.0

Read the full report here:  http://crimereporting.ncdoj.gov/public/2011/ASR/2011%20Annual%20Summary.pdf

Comments

1. mudball said on:

Well, somebody’s gotta be first!

Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0 Please log in to vote
  2. Dazed and Confused said on:

This doesn’t surprise me at all and I don’t see things improving anytime soon either. It’s way past time to leave Vance County if you can.

Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0 Please log in to vote
  3. anon3 said on:

The police chief said it was because we have strip malls and walmart. I guess we’re the only county in the state with strip malls and walmart?

Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0 Please log in to vote
  4. HendersonMom said on:

That’s absolutely ridiculous to say our crime rate is high because of strip malls and Wal-mart!! Every city with a population of more than a few thousand probably have strip malls and Wal-mart! I think the main reason the crime rate is high is because of our drug problem. The need for drug money leads to crime committed to get the money…plain and simple. I think if they were to “crack” down (pardon the pun) on the drug problem we have in this city, the crime rate would go down significantly!

Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0 Please log in to vote
  5. Mr. Mojo Risin said on:

In the same breath, we could stop allowing people to live for free off you and me and make them realize that they have to work hard in order to succeed. Which is the total opposite of sitting on the porch waiting for a check. Or, breeding like ants so they can get paid. What a horrible way to live.

If I owned a birth control company I would certainly set up shop in Vance County. It’s an untapped market.

Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0 Please log in to vote
  6. anon3 said on:

There’s been great success of other communities offering rewards to teenagers for not getting pregnant. Could Vance County do the same?

Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0 Please log in to vote
  7. prudence said on:

No more rental properties–.

The federal government needs to stop rewarding promiscuity and drug use with welfare and food stamps and other social programs.

The needy people here in Henderson are those who maintain a home, pay their taxes and abide by the laws. Simplistic? Perhaps, but it used to work.

Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0 Please log in to vote
  8. Mr. Mojo Risin said on:

I totally agree, Prudence.

Never knew folks got rewarded for not having a child out of wed-lock. This place is desperate and quite the laughing stock of our state unfortunately. Things have to change. Now.

Here is my take on the reward for not causing a pregnancy…..growing up I knew kids who got paid for the grades they brought home. Obviously, an “A” brought in the most loot. No matter how much I begged for some cash when I brought home a good report card, I never got one dime. Know why? Because I did not need to be rewarded for doing the right thing in the first place.

However, I can totally see why some folks thought that was the correct thing to do. Who knows, I may start doing this with my children. I do not think there really is a right or wrong answer. Either way, doing what’s right always feels the best in the end.

Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0 Please log in to vote
  9. Betterworld said on:

I think we are getting to a place where the hard working tax payers are going to say ‘enough is enough.’ I welcome that day.

Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0 Please log in to vote