The Garden Path Newsletter, published by the Kerr Lake Master Gardener Volunteers, is available here. http://vance.ces.ncsu.edu/files/library/91/2012%20May%20Garden%20Path.pdf
WEEKLY TO DO LIST
1. Safe to plant most warm-season vegetables.
2. Safe to plant annual flowers (e.g. marigolds, petunias, impatiens, etc.).
3. Wait until early May to plant lima beans, eggplant, Southern peas, & peppers.
4. Wait until mid-May to plant sweetpotatoes
5. Remember to try succession planting to spread out the harvest over time.
6. Look for fresh local strawberries at roadside stands and pick-your-own farms.
7. Plant warm season grasses through July.
8. Fertilize bermuda, centipede, and zoysia in May.
9. Set up and test irrigation system now so you’re not scrambling when hot, dry weather hits.
10. Plant leftover Easter lilies in your perennial bed, they will rebloom next year.
BEEKEEPER CLUB FORMING! FIRST MEETING ON MAY 7th
Two weeks ago, Wayne Rowland and I met with a small group of local beekeepers to discuss the possibility of forming a beekeeper’s club/association for this area. The conclusion? Let’s make it happen! As a first step, the Vance County Extension Center will facilitate an initial meeting on Monday, May 7, 7 pm at the Vance County Extension Center (305 Young St. in Henderson). Our initial plan is to meet on the first Monday evening of each month. Depending on interest, we can look at alternating meeting locations between Vance and Warren Counties. Whether you currently have bees or are just interested in learning more, you are welcome to join!
4H SUMMER FUN
The Warren County Extension Center has released it’s schedule for 4-H Summer Fun. You won’t find a more comprehensive selection of fun and low-cost activities for kids! For more information, visit http://go.ncsu.edu/4hsummerfun2012, e-mail email@example.com or call 252-257-3640. The Vance schedule should be available soon.
LAST CHANCE TO SIGN UP FOR CANNING CLASS!
Vance County Cooperative Extension will sponsor a Canning demonstration for beginning canners, “Can It Safely”, on Thursday, May 3, from 2 until 4 p.m. Pre-registration fee of $4 should be paid by check to arrive at Vance County Extension Center, 305 Young Street, Henderson, NC 27536 by Tuesday, May 1. Call 252-438-8188 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.